gzipped vs unzipped from s3 bucket

hmcbride

I am experimenting loading 30-40  gzipped files 2-3G in size from s3 and I am finding it considerably slower
than loading the same uncompressed text files from S3.   Using sc.textFile to do the load should according to the 2.1.0 documentation be able to handle the set of compressed files.  I have seen a few postings  on addressing this , some pretty awkward.  Does the driver program have to unzip the files sequentially
before it progresses. Are there any  elegant solutions to this.  Or is uncompressed the best way to go.

thx in advance
hmb