graphx vs graphframes

Nicolas Paris-2
hi all

graphframes was intended to replace graphx.

however the former looks not maintained anymore while the latter is
still active.

any thought ?
--
nicolas

Re: graphx vs graphframes

Alastair Green-2
Hi Nicolas,

I was following the current thread on the dev channel about Spark Graph, including Cypher support,

and I remembered your post.

Actually, GraphX and GraphFrames are both not being developed actively, so far as I can tell.

The only activity on GraphX in the last two years was a fix for Scala 2.13 functionality: to quote the PR

### Does this PR introduce any user-facing change?
No behavior change at all.
The only activity on GraphFrames since the addition of Pregel support in Scala back in December 2018, has been build/test improvements and recent builds against 2.4 and 3.0 snapshots. I’m not sure there was a lot of functional change before that either.

The efforts to provide graph processing in Spark with the more full-featured Cypher query language that you can see in the proposed 3.0 changes discussed in the dev list, and the related openCypher/morpheus project (which among many other things allows you to cast a Morpheus graph into a GraphX graph) and extends the proposed 3.0 changes in a compatible way, are active.

Yrs,

Alastair

On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 21:17, Nicolas Paris <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi all

graphframes was intended to replace graphx.

however the former looks not maintained anymore while the latter is
still active.

any thought ?
--
nicolas

Re: graphx vs graphframes

Nicolas Paris-2
Hi Alastair

Cypher support looks like promising and the dev list thread discussion
is interesting.
thanks for your feedback.

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 09:19:28AM +0100, Alastair Green wrote:

> Hi Nicolas,
>
> I was following the current thread on the dev channel about Spark
> Graph, including Cypher support,
>
> http://apache-spark-developers-list.1001551.n3.nabble.com/
> Add-spark-dependency-on-on-org-opencypher-okapi-shade-okapi-td28118.html
>
> and I remembered your post.
>
> Actually, GraphX and GraphFrames are both not being developed actively, so far
> as I can tell.
>
> The only activity on GraphX in the last two years was a fix for Scala 2.13
> functionality: to quote the PR
>

>     ### Does this PR introduce any user-facing change?
>
>     No behavior change at all.
>
> The only activity on GraphFrames since the addition of Pregel support in Scala
> back in December 2018, has been build/test improvements and recent builds
> against 2.4 and 3.0 snapshots. I’m not sure there was a lot of functional
> change before that either.
>
> The efforts to provide graph processing in Spark with the more full-featured
> Cypher query language that you can see in the proposed 3.0 changes discussed in
> the dev list, and the related openCypher/morpheus project (which among many
> other things allows you to cast a Morpheus graph into a GraphX graph) and
> extends the proposed 3.0 changes in a compatible way, are active.
>
> Yrs,
>
> Alastair
>

> Alastair Green
>
> Query Languages Standards and Research
>

> Neo4j UK Ltd
>
> Union House
> 182-194 Union Street
> London, SE1 0LH
>

> +44 795 841 2107
>

> On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 21:17, Nicolas Paris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     hi all
>
>     graphframes was intended to replace graphx.
>
>     however the former looks not maintained anymore while the latter is
>     still active.
>
>     any thought ?
>     --
>     nicolas