Spark thrift server ldap

mickymiek
Hi everyone

We're using the spark thrift server with spark 3.0.1.

We're using it to query hive with jdbc queries using ldap authentication,
and it seems that the LdapAuthenticationProviderImpl.java provided by spark
thrift server is way outdated
(https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/v3.0.1/sql/hive-thriftserver/src/main/java/org/apache/hive/service/auth/LdapAuthenticationProviderImpl.java)
we traced it back to the 1.2 release of hive
(https://github.com/apache/hive/blob/branch-1.2/service/src/java/org/apache/hive/service/auth/LdapAuthenticationProviderImpl.java)

It causes some issues because it lacks some features, for instance because
of the version of hive the thrift server provides, we can't use options like
"hive.server2.authentication.ldap.guidKey", which is really needed in our
case.

Is there a good reason the hive part of thrift server isn't up to date?
If not, we would be happy to contribute on this subject.

Thanks a lot