Spark Window Documentation

neerajbhadani
Hi Team,
    I was looking for a Spark window function example on documentation.

For example, I could the function definition and params are explained nicely here: https://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/api/python/pyspark.sql.html#pyspark.sql.Window.rowsBetween
and this is the source which is available since spark version 2.1: https://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/api/python/_modules/pyspark/sql/window.html#Window.rowsBetween

But I couldn't find an example which helps to understand How it works.

Although, while browsing the GitHub code I have found some example here: https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/master/python/pyspark/sql/window.py#L83
which I couldn't find on the spark official doc page. Where and how this example is linked with the official spark documentation.

If such examples are not available, Could you please share the process on how I can contribute examples to the spark documentation.

Regards,
Neeraj

Re: Spark Window Documentation

Jacek Laskowski
Hi Neeraj,

I'm not a committer so I might be wrong, but there is no "blessed way" to include examples.

There are some examples in the official documentation at http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/sql-programming-guide.html but this is how to use the general concepts not specific operators.

There are some examples at http://spark.apache.org/examples.html

I think the best way would be to include examples as close to the methods as possible and scaladoc/javadoc would be best IMHO.

p.s. Just yesterday there was this thread "What open source projects have the best docs?" on twitter @ https://twitter.com/adamwathan/status/1257641015835611138. You could borrow some ideas of the docs that are claimed "the best".

Regards,
Neeraj

Re: Spark Window Documentation

neerajbhadani
Thanks Jacek for sharing the details. I could see some example here https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/master/python/pyspark/sql/window.py#L83 as mentioned in original email but not sure where this is reflecting on spark documentation. Also, what would be the process to contribute to the spark docs. I check the section "Contributing Documentation Changes" at this linkhttps://spark.apache.org/contributing.html but couldn't find a way to contribute. I might be missing something here.

If someone can help on how to contribute to the spark docs would be great.

Regards,
Neeraj

Regards,
Neeraj