Serialization error when using scala kernel with Jupyter

Serialization error when using scala kernel with Jupyter

Nikhil Goyal
Hi all,
I am trying to use almond scala kernel to run spark session on Jupyter. I am using scala version 2.12.8. I am creating spark session with master set to Yarn.
This is the code:

val rdd = spark.sparkContext.parallelize(Seq(1, 2, 4))
rdd.map(x => x + 1).collect()

Exception:
java.lang.ClassCastException: cannot assign instance of java.lang.invoke.SerializedLambda to field org.apache.spark.rdd.MapPartitionsRDD.f of type scala.Function3 in instance of org.apache.spark.rdd.MapPartitionsRDD

I was wondering if anyone has seen this before.

Thanks
Nikhil

Re: Serialization error when using scala kernel with Jupyter

Apostolos N. Papadopoulos

collect() returns the contents of the RDD back to the Driver in a local variable. Where is the local variable?

Try

val result = rdd.map(x => x + 1).collect()

regards,

Apostolos

--
Apostolos N. Papadopoulos, Associate Professor
Department of Informatics