Re: BroadcastJoin failed on partitioned parquet table

Re: BroadcastJoin failed on partitioned parquet table

Wenchen Fan
I'm not sure if Spark 1.6 is still maintained, can you try a 2.x spark version and see if the problem still exists?

On Sun, Sep 30, 2018 at 4:14 PM 白也诗无敌 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Besides I have tried ANALYZE statement. It has no use cause I need the single partition but get the total table size by hive parameter 'totalSize' or 'rawSize' and so on

Hi, guys:
     I'm using Spark1.6.2.
     There are two tables and the small one is a partitioned parquet table;
     The total size of the small table is 1000M but each partition only 1M;
     When I set spark.sql.autoBroadcastJoinThreshold to 50m ​and join the two tables with single partition, I get the SortMergeJoin physical plan.
     I have made some try and it has something to do with the partition pruning:
     1. check the physical plan, and all of the partitions of the small table are added in.

     2. set spark.sql.hive.convertMetastoreParquet=false
    ​The pruning is success, but still get SortMergeJoin because the code HiveMetastoreCatalog.scala
      @transient override lazy val statistics: Statistics = Statistics(
  sizeInBytes = {
val totalSize = hiveQlTable.getParameters.get(StatsSetupConst.TOTAL_SIZE)
val rawDataSize = hiveQlTable.getParameters.get(StatsSetupConst.RAW_DATA_SIZE)
    The total size of the table not the single partition.

    How can I fix this without patches? Or Is there a patch for SPARK1.6 about SPARK-16980.

best regards!
Jerry