Problem with Kafka group.id

Sjoerd van Leent

Dear reader,

I must force the group.id of Kafka, as Kafka is under ACL control, however, doing so gives me the error:

Kafka option 'group.id' is not supported as user-specified consumer groups are not used to track offsets.

This won’t work, as not being able to set it, basically disqualifies using Spark within our organization. How can I force (Py)Spark to respect the group.id used?

Met vriendelijke groet,

Sjoerd van Leent

Systeem Engineer | IT AST-B&R CSC

M   +31 6 11 24 52 27
E    [hidden email]

Alliander N.V.  .  Postbus 50, 6920 AB Duiven, Nederland  .  Locatiecode: 2PB2100
  .  Utrechtseweg 68, 6812 AH Arnhem  .  KvK 09104351 Arnhem  .  www.alliander.com

De inhoud van deze e-mail, inclusief bijlagen, is persoonlijk en vertrouwelijk. Mocht dit bericht niet voor u bedoeld zijn, informeer dan per omgaande de afzender en verwijder dit bericht. Gelieve deze e-mail, inclusief eventuele bijlagen, niet te gebruiken, kopiëren of door te sturen aan derden.

Re: Problem with Kafka group.id

spicoflorin
Hello!

Maybe you can find more information on the same issue reported here:

validateGeneralOptions makes sure that group.id has not been specified and reports an IllegalArgumentException otherwise.

+

Kafka option 'group.id' is not supported as user-specified consumer groups are not used to track offset
https://github.com/Azure/azure-event-hubs-for-kafka/issues/35
I hope it helps, Florin
On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 5:45 PM Sethupathi T <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

This is exactly the issue I am fighting against. Within a good number of organizations,  this is against policy. Another solution is necessary.

Re: Problem with Kafka group.id

Gabor Somogyi
Hi Sjoerd,

We've added kafka.group.id config to Spark 3.0...

kafka.group.idstringnonestreaming and batchThe Kafka group id to use in Kafka consumer while reading from Kafka. Use this with caution. By default, each query generates a unique group id for reading data. This ensures that each Kafka source has its own consumer group that does not face interference from any other consumer, and therefore can read all of the partitions of its subscribed topics. In some scenarios (for example, Kafka group-based authorization), you may want to use a specific authorized group id to read data. You can optionally set the group id. However, do this with extreme caution as it can cause unexpected behavior. Concurrently running queries (both, batch and streaming) or sources with the same group id are likely interfere with each other causing each query to read only part of the data. This may also occur when queries are started/restarted in quick succession. To minimize such issues, set the Kafka consumer session timeout (by setting option "kafka.session.timeout.ms") to be very small. When this is set, option "groupIdPrefix" will be ignored.

BR,