Please help: virtualization type 'hvm' when I try to launch ec2 ssd instance

Please help: virtualization type 'hvm' when I try to launch ec2 ssd instance

Chen Jin
Hi ,

I am trying to run spark with EC2 SSD instance i2.2xlarge,

But, when I try to launch EC2 cluster using spark-ec2 script with
--instance-type=i2.2x.large

I received the following error:
<Response><Errors><Error><Code>InvalidParameterCombination</Code><Message>Virtualization
type 'hvm' is required for instances of type
'i2.2xlarge'.</Message></Error></Errors><RequestID>139a0477-fe3c-47bd-bcef-6a74e5f0d220</RequestID></Response>

I couldn't find any option to specify the virtualization type, how can
I resolve this?

Thank you very much,

-chen

Re: Please help: virtualization type 'hvm' when I try to launch ec2 ssd instance

ankurcha
Hi,

I  ran into the same problem, the AMI that is used but he EC2 scripts is a paravirtualization one. For i2 and c3 nodes you need the newer HVM virtualization. I think the ec2-scripts don't support HVM instances.
I ended up manually setting spark or you could try using the chef recipe to do it too (search in github).

-- Ankur

Re: Please help: virtualization type 'hvm' when I try to launch ec2 ssd instance

Shivaram Venkataraman
The EC2 scripts do support HVM instances -- Its just the i2.2xlarge
ones were recently added by Amazon and we haven't added the mapping to
handle them in our scripts. Should be fixed when
https://github.com/apache/incubator-spark/pull/385 is committed.

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 11:51 AM, Ankur Chauhan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I  ran into the same problem, the AMI that is used but he EC2 scripts is a
> paravirtualization one. For i2 and c3 nodes you need the newer HVM
> virtualization. I think the ec2-scripts don't support HVM instances.
> I ended up manually setting spark or you could try using the chef recipe to
> do it too (search in github).
>
> -- Ankur

Re: Please help: virtualization type 'hvm' when I try to launch ec2 ssd instance

Chen Jin
Thanks, the patch works.

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 12:48 PM, Shivaram Venkataraman
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The EC2 scripts do support HVM instances -- Its just the i2.2xlarge
> ones were recently added by Amazon and we haven't added the mapping to
> handle them in our scripts. Should be fixed when
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-spark/pull/385 is committed.
>
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 11:51 AM, Ankur Chauhan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I  ran into the same problem, the AMI that is used but he EC2 scripts is a
>> paravirtualization one. For i2 and c3 nodes you need the newer HVM
>> virtualization. I think the ec2-scripts don't support HVM instances.
>> I ended up manually setting spark or you could try using the chef recipe to
>> do it too (search in github).
>>
>> -- Ankur

Re: Please help: virtualization type 'hvm' when I try to launch ec2 ssd instance

Chen Jin
OK,I ran into another problem. The master can't get started, only
worker nodes are running. The following error is received after
launching the cluster.

boto.exception.EC2ResponseError: EC2ResponseError: 400 Bad Request
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Response><Errors><Error><Code>InvalidParameterCombination</Code><Message>Non-Windows
instances with a virtualization type of 'hvm' are currently not
supported for this instance
type.</Message></Error></Errors><RequestID>60aa8aa0-acf3-4bc8-b2b4-120f0b7d1e36</RequestID></Response>

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 1:40 PM, Chen Jin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, the patch works.
>
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 12:48 PM, Shivaram Venkataraman
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The EC2 scripts do support HVM instances -- Its just the i2.2xlarge
>> ones were recently added by Amazon and we haven't added the mapping to
>> handle them in our scripts. Should be fixed when
>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-spark/pull/385 is committed.
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 11:51 AM, Ankur Chauhan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I  ran into the same problem, the AMI that is used but he EC2 scripts is a
>>> paravirtualization one. For i2 and c3 nodes you need the newer HVM
>>> virtualization. I think the ec2-scripts don't support HVM instances.
>>> I ended up manually setting spark or you could try using the chef recipe to
>>> do it too (search in github).
>>>
>>> -- Ankur

Re: Please help: virtualization type 'hvm' when I try to launch ec2 ssd instance

Patrick Wendell
You may need to set the master to be one of the HVM types as well.
What type is the master in your cluster?

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 2:15 PM, Chen Jin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK,I ran into another problem. The master can't get started, only
> worker nodes are running. The following error is received after
> launching the cluster.
>
> boto.exception.EC2ResponseError: EC2ResponseError: 400 Bad Request
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <Response><Errors><Error><Code>InvalidParameterCombination</Code><Message>Non-Windows
> instances with a virtualization type of 'hvm' are currently not
> supported for this instance
> type.</Message></Error></Errors><RequestID>60aa8aa0-acf3-4bc8-b2b4-120f0b7d1e36</RequestID></Response>
>
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 1:40 PM, Chen Jin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks, the patch works.
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 12:48 PM, Shivaram Venkataraman
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> The EC2 scripts do support HVM instances -- Its just the i2.2xlarge
>>> ones were recently added by Amazon and we haven't added the mapping to
>>> handle them in our scripts. Should be fixed when
>>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-spark/pull/385 is committed.

Re: Please help: virtualization type 'hvm' when I try to launch ec2 ssd instance

Chen Jin
Yeah, that's was the problem, I fixed it, thanks a lot.