[Meta] Moderation request diversion?

Jeff Evans
There seem to be a lot of people trying to unsubscribe via the main
address, rather than following the instructions from the welcome
email.  Of course, this is not all that surprising, but it leads to a
lot of pointless threads*.  Is there a way to enable automatic
detection and diversion of such requests?  I don't know what
particular software is running this list, but mailman, for example,
has such a capability.  I feel that such a thing would improve the
signal-to-noise ratio of this valuable list.  Thanks.

* see "unsubscribe" messages in the archive:
http://apache-spark-user-list.1001560.n3.nabble.com/

Re: [Meta] Moderation request diversion?

Vadim Semenov-2
just set up a filter
Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 4.51.20 PM.png

Sent from my iPhone

* see "unsubscribe" messages in the archive:
http://apache-spark-user-list.1001560.n3.nabble.com/

Re: [Meta] Moderation request diversion?

srowen
The mailing lists are operated by the ASF. I've asked whether it's
possible here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-20186

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 12:39 PM Jeff Evans
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Still noticing this problem quite a bit, both on the user and dev lists.  I notice that it appears to be using ezmlm as the software.  Is there any chance the list owner (someone at Databricks?) can take a look at restricting messages based on seeing the word "Unsubscribe" in the subject?  It appears to be possible; see: http://untroubled.org/ezmlm/faq/Restricting-posts-based-on-the-Subject-line.html#Restricting-posts-based-on-the-Subject-line
>
> On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 3:45 PM Jeff Evans <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> There seem to be a lot of people trying to unsubscribe via the main
>> address, rather than following the instructions from the welcome
>> email.  Of course, this is not all that surprising, but it leads to a
>> lot of pointless threads*.  Is there a way to enable automatic
>> detection and diversion of such requests?  I don't know what
>> particular software is running this list, but mailman, for example,
>> has such a capability.  I feel that such a thing would improve the
>> signal-to-noise ratio of this valuable list.  Thanks.
>>
>> * see "unsubscribe" messages in the archive:
>> http://apache-spark-user-list.1001560.n3.nabble.com/

Re: [Meta] Moderation request diversion?

Jeff Evans
Thanks, Sean; much appreciated.