Measure Serialization / De-serialization Time

Measure Serialization / De-serialization Time

Jack Kolokasis
Hello all,

     I am running a simple Word Count application using storage level
MEMORY_ONLY in one case and OFF_HEAP on the other. I see that the
execution time while I ran my application off-heap is higher than
on-heap. So, I am looking where this time goes.

One thought at first is that this time goes on serialization and
deserialization time of the objects.

     - I want to measure that, is there any way ?

     - Also do you have any opinion where this time goes ?

My experimental setup is : 1 driver and 1 executor (on the same
machine). Executor has 1GB memory and 1 core. The offHeap size is 1GB.

Thanks for your reply,
--Iacovos