Load Time from HDFS

Jack Kolokasis
Hello,

     I want to ask if there any way to measure HDFS data loading time at
the start of my program. I tried to add an action e.g count() after val
data = sc.textFile() call. But I notice that my program takes more time
to finish than before adding count call. Is there any other way to do it ?

Thanks,
--Iacovos

Re:Load Time from HDFS

Yeikel
What about a simple call to nanotime?

long startTime = System.nanoTime();

//Spark work here

long endTime = System.nanoTime();

long duration = (endTime - startTime)

println(duration)

Count recomputes the df so it makes sense it takes longer for you.

---- On Tue, 02 Apr 2019 07:06:30 -0700 [hidden email] wrote ----

Hello,

I want to ask if there any way to measure HDFS data loading time at
the start of my program. I tried to add an action e.g count() after val
data = sc.textFile() call. But I notice that my program takes more time
to finish than before adding count call. Is there any other way to do it ?

Thanks,
--Iacovos

Re: Load Time from HDFS

Mich Talebzadeh
Have you tried looking at Spark GUI to see the time it takes to load from HDFS?

Spark GUI by default runs on port 4040. However, you can set in spark-submit

${SPARK_HOME}/bin/spark-submit  \

…...
--conf "spark.ui.port=xxxx"

and access it through hostname:port