Creating DStream windows that start at specific times

Creating DStream windows that start at specific times

Chris Regnier
Hey everyone,

I've been contemplating an upcoming issue for my current project that I
can't see an obvious solution for, so I was hoping someone else could
point me in the right direction. I'm trying to window up live twitter
data over a couple of different batch periods (1 hour, 4 hours, and 24
hours). But the windowed periods need to be started at specific times,
ie. human readable times (for example right on the hour), and not in the
middle of a 1 hour period. Also, whenever the system is restarted the
first periods should all be partial periods so that data isn't ignored.

So is there a good way to create a DStream window that will create jobs
around specific time intervals, and can create a job for the initial
time interval as well? Something like dstream.window(windowDuration,
slideDuration, timeLeftInCurrentDuration, shouldIgnoreFirstPartialJob)?

Thanks,
Chris Regnier
Visualization Developer
Oculus Info Inc.