Copyright Infringment

Som Lima

At the risk of being removed from the emailing I would like a clarification because I do not want  to commit an unlawful act.

Can you please clarify if I would be infringing copyright due to this text.

Book:  High Performance Spark
authors: holden Karau Rachel Warren.
page xii:
 This book is here to help you get your job done ...
If for example code is offered with this book, you may use it in your programs and documentation. You do not need to contact us for permission
unless your are reproducing significant portion of the code.

If for example code is offered with this book, you may use it in your programs and documentation. You do not need to contact us for permission
unless your are reproducing significant portion of the code.

Re: Copyright Infringment

Som Lima
The text is very clear on the issue of copyright infringement. Ask permission or you are committing an unlawful act.

The words "significant portion" has not been quantified.

So I have nothing to ask of the authors except may be to quantify. Quantification is a secondary issue.

My reading of the text is that it applies to any spark user and not just me personally.

The authors need to make clear to all spark users whether copyright infringement was their intent or not.

The authors need to make clear to all spark users why should any development team share their Use Case in order  avoid  falling on the wrong side
of copyright infringement claims.

I understand  you are also  a named author of a book on Apache usage.

Perhaps you can share with us from your expertise  the need or your motivation  for the addendum to the Apache Spark online usage documents.

Let me rephrase my question.

Does any Spark User feel as I do this text is a violation of Apache foundation's  free licence agreement  ?

On Sat, 25 Apr 2020, 16:18 Sean Owen, <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Holden Karau
I’m one of the authors.

I think you’ve misunderstood the licenses here, but I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice but my understanding is:

1) Spark is Apache licensed so code your make using Spark doesn’t need to be open source (it’s not GPL)

2) If you want to use examples from the book and you aren’t using a substantial portion of the code from the book go for it. If you are using a substantial portion of the code please talk to O’Reilly (the publisher) for permission.
If you look at the book’s example repo you can find information about the license the individual examples are available under, most are Apache licensed but some components examples are GPL licensed.

I hope this helps and your able to use the examples in the book to get your job done and thanks for reading the book.