Announcing Calliope releases 0.8.1-GA and 0.9.0-EA

Announcing Calliope releases 0.8.1-GA and 0.9.0-EA

Rohit Rai
Hi All,

We are glad to announce the General availability of release 0.8.1  built against Spark 0.8.1 and Scala 2.9.3 and Early access to release 0.9.0 for Spark 0.9.0 and Scala 2.10.3.

Calliope is our library providing an interface to consume data from Cassandra to Spark and store RDDs from Spark to Cassandra. It supports fetching data from the Thrift/Legacy Column families as well as from the new CQL3 Column Families. And with all the functionality wrapped in easy to use API, it gives you a great way to start writing Spark + Cassandra powered Big Data applications.

Checkout http://tuplejump.github.io/calliope/ for getting Calliope and more information on using it.

Cheers,
Rohit
Founder & CEO, Tuplejump, Inc.
____________________________
The Data Engineering Platform

Re: Announcing Calliope releases 0.8.1-GA and 0.9.0-EA

Sam Bessalah-2
Congrats. Great job.
 I really like what you are doing with Calliope.

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 3:01 PM, Rohit Rai <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Patrick Wendell
This is cool Rohit, thanks for announcing.

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 6:37 AM, Sam Bessalah <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Congrats. Great job.
>  I really like what you are doing with Calliope.
>

> On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 3:01 PM, Rohit Rai <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> We are glad to announce the General availability of release 0.8.1  built
>> against Spark 0.8.1 and Scala 2.9.3 and Early access to release 0.9.0 for
>> Spark 0.9.0 and Scala 2.10.3.
>>
>> Calliope is our library providing an interface to consume data from
>> Cassandra to Spark and store RDDs from Spark to Cassandra. It supports
>> fetching data from the Thrift/Legacy Column families as well as from the new
>> CQL3 Column Families. And with all the functionality wrapped in easy to use
>> API, it gives you a great way to start writing Spark + Cassandra powered Big
>> Data applications.
>>
>> Checkout http://tuplejump.github.io/calliope/ for getting Calliope and
>> more information on using it.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Rohit
>> Founder & CEO, Tuplejump, Inc.
>> ____________________________
>> www.tuplejump.com
>> The Data Engineering Platform

Re: Announcing Calliope releases 0.8.1-GA and 0.9.0-EA

Heiko Braun
Congrats rohit, calliope is really a grwat improvement when with both spark and cassandra.

Does this release target a specific cassandra version? IIRC you mentioned somewhere it should work with both C* 1.2.x and 2.x. I've tried calliope with the C* 2.0.4 dependencies, but the thrift API (java) seems to be incompatible.

Regards, Heiko

____________________________
The Data Engineering Platform

Re: Announcing Calliope releases 0.8.1-GA and 0.9.0-EA

Rohit Rai
Thanks guys.

Heiko, Some of our users did claim that they are using C* 2.0 with Spark.... We never used it. All our clients are on 1.2.x. But since there is a growing interest in people moving to C* 2.0 we have decided to start work on migrating Calliope to it (we won't stop supporting 1.2.x). But with all the work planned out for next two weeks, we will pick up this task towards end of this month.

Regards,
Rohit

Founder & CEO, Tuplejump, Inc.
____________________________

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 11:58 PM, Heiko Braun <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Rohit,

that's good to know. Do you track calliope issues somewhere? I could report some of my findings.

Regards, Heiko

On 05 Feb 2014, at 08:33, Rohit Rai <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Yes we do track the issues in Github.
You can report it in the Calliope EA repo (just send me your GIthub ID or signup from calliope homepage, [Get Early access link] and we will give you access)
If it is against GA (currently 0.8.1) you can report it to the calliope-release repo

Regards,
Rohit

Founder & CEO, Tuplejump, Inc.

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 1:26 PM, Heiko Braun <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

To start the discussion on Calliope core (Spark+Cassandra part of it) becoming a contrib module in Spark (spark-cassandra) I have opened a issue on Spark Jira. https://spark-project.atlassian.net/browse/SPARK-1054

Please let us know what you all feel of it... great/good idea/bad idea/doesn't make sense.... If the idea is accepted what will be the concerns around the task, etc.

Cheers,
Rohit

Founder & CEO, Tuplejump, Inc.