ALS block settings

hagow

I am trying to figure out how to find optimal values for the the ALS userBlocks and itemBlocks parameters.

For example, I am having out of memory issues fitting the ALS model to a matrix with about 100 million users and 300 items and it sounds like these blocks parameters should help but I am unable to find documentation about how these blocks values should be adjusted.

For example, in my case should we be using more blocks? How many more? Is there a recommended ratio of blocks to users/items?

Anyone have any recommendations on best practices with these two settings?